The stakes may have got the better of the game for Saint-Etienne. And Reims took advantage of it. On the lawn of Stéphanois in the play-off position, the Rémois were keen to play the game until the end and to respect the fairness of the championship. The opportunity also for Oscar Garcia to play a bad trick on his former club. His proteges quickly heard the message. If the Greens showed their intentions to do well in the first moments, they also showed their fragility, especially defensively. From the 3rd minute, Mitchell Van Bergen did a nice job on the left side. His center put panic in the surface of the Greens. And if Paul Bernardoni intervened well, he could do nothing against Marshall Munetsi which, alone, had ended well.
At the foot of the wall, the Stéphanois reacted well. And quickly returned to the score following a corner that yunis abdelhamid couldn’t get out. Eliaquim Mangala in ambush, deceived Predrag Rajkovic. What followed was messier. Faced with fragile Greens, the Rémois did not offer great pressure in a then tasteless match. The changes made by Oscar Garcia at the break reinvigorated the Champenois. Motivated, Hugo Ekiike caused a lot of concern to the Saint-Etienne defense. Unhappy on a recovery which touched the post, he knew more success by serving the young Kamory Doumbia on the hour mark. The young striker scored his first goal in Ligue 1 with a fine strike from the right. Traumatized, the Forez players will not recover. Here they are 19th while Reims secures 12th place. What to imagine a beautiful last party in Delaune against Nice who will fight for a European place..
In Saint-Etienne (Geoffroy Guichard stadium), Stade de Reims beats Saint-Etienne 2-1
- Arbitrator : Mr Clement Turpin
- Goals – Mangala (12th) for St-Etienne; Munetsi (3rd), K. Doumbia (61st) for Reims
- Warning – to Stéphanois Eliaquim Mangala (6th)
- St Etienne : Bernardoni – Trauco, Nadé (Dacko, 64th), Mangala, Sow (Moukoudi, 65th), Mason – Douath, Camara, Boudebouz (Crivelli, 64th) – Khazri, Bouanga. Entr. :Pascal Dupraz
- Reims : Rajkovic – Locko (Busi, 46th), Abdelhamid (cap), Faes, Foket – Matusiwa, Lopy, Kebbal (Ekitiké, 46th), K. Doumbia – Van Bergen (Gravillon, 46th), Touré. Entr. :Oscar Garcia