Video length: 2 min
Carbon monoxide poisoning: “It is an odorless and colorless gas, so it is a very insidious poisoning,” warns a doctor
Carbon monoxide poisoning: “It is an odorless and colorless gas, so it is a very insidious poisoning”, warns a doctor – (franceinfo)
Guest of 19/20 info, Friday December 8, Jérôme Poussard, doctor member of the Federation of French Firefighters (CNSPF), discusses the carbon monoxide poisoning which affected students at a school in the Côtes -d’Armor.
All victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in a Côtes-d’Armor school, Friday December 8, were put in a hyperbaric chamber. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the classic treatment used in this case of poisoning. The victims are placed in “a box in which we increase the pressure to be able to make them breathe oxygen at high pressure, and provide them with oxygen in very, very large quantities to detoxify the body of carbon monoxide”explains Jérôme Poussard, doctor and member of the French Firefighters Federation (CNSPF), in 19/20 info.
An annual review of combustion appliances recommended
Jérôme Poussard also recalls that carbon monoxide is a “odorless and colorless gas, so it is a very insidious poisoning”. In case of prolonged exposure, symptoms, such as headaches or severe fatigue, appear. “Digestive disorders can also appear, with nausea and vomiting. And if the poisoning is even more serious, we have loss of consciousness, which can lead to coma, or even death”, warns the doctor. Finally, to avoid cases of carbon monoxide poisoning, Jérôme Poussard advises all individuals to carry out an annual inspection of all their combustion appliances, such as boilers or auxiliary heaters.