Quebec singer Céline Dion is canceling forty concerts scheduled in Europe until April 2024 for health reasons, the organizers of her tour announced on Friday in a press release sent to AFP.
Suffering from a rare neurological pathology against which she “is continuing her treatment”, they said, the star had already announced in December that she was canceling or postponing the concerts planned in Europe between February and July 2023.
“I’m trying very hard to regain my strength, but touring can be very difficult (…) It’s better that we cancel everything now, until I’m really ready to get back on stage,” said the 55-year-old singer, quoted in the press release.
Celine Dion’s last concert dates back to March 2020, in Newark, United States. After fifty concerts in North America, his world tour Courage World Tour had been interrupted by the pandemic of COVID-19.
This tour was never able to resume, the singer then indicating to suffer from muscle spasms.
The next concert scheduled was in Paris (La Défense Arena) on September 1st.
Celine Dion has stiff person syndrome (SPR), a condition whose exact cause is unknown but likely to be of autoimmune origin.
Affecting about one in a million people, this syndrome causes severe pain and difficulty in moving, preventing physically strenuous activities.
“The medical team that accompanies Céline follows the evolution of the disease and its treatment,” said those around her.
“Tickets purchased for the 42 canceled dates will be refunded,” added tour organizers.
The singer felt that it was “not fair to continue to postpone the shows”, for lack of knowing when she would be able to go back on stage.
She is one of the most popular artists in the world, famous among other things for my heart Will Go Ona 1997 song for the film’s soundtrack titanic.